At the AAO, the UW – Madison anatomy course ran again for its 36th consecutive year. Thanks to Cat Burkat for again leading the charge and for the many instructors who have helped make this course a perennial success. Former directors of this course have been: Brad Lemke, Russ Gonnering, Dave Lyon, Don Kikkawa, and Mark Lucarelli. The following people served as 2019 instructors at this perennial favorite at the AAO:
- Ramzi Alameddine
- Shubhra Goel
- Jaclyn Gurwin *Thanks, Jaclyn, for your great help with the specimens!
- Pimkwan Jaru-Ampornpan
- Alon Kahana
- Courtney Kauh
- Bradford Lee
- Marcus Marcet
- Karim Punja
- Nick Ramey
- Richard Scawn
- Joe Shovlin
- Manoj Thakkar
- Suzanne van Landingham
- Jaqueline Silva De Rezende
Don Kikkawa (the 2018 Wendell Hughes Lecturer) introduced Carol Shields as the 2019 Wendell Hughes Lecturer.
Cat Burkat and Bobby Korn were among a select group who received the AAO’s 2019 Secretariat Award recognizing substantial contributions to the AAO’s educational programs. Bobby Korn also received the Senior Achievement Award, and Don Kikkawa reached the Lifetime Achievement recognition. Congratulations!
Inaugural NASAOS Course at AAO
Alon Kahana and Sara Wester directed the first ever NASAOS Course at the AAO this year. This course provided a comprehensive review of orbital imaging. I was proud to serve as one of the instructors of this excellent course. With Alon’s vision and drive, the North American Society of Academic Orbital Surgeons has grown to 68 members in 3 short years. At this year’s NASAOS meeting in Orlando, Vic Elner presented the Dortzbach Lecture on the pathopysiology of orbital inflammation.
At the AAO, Alon Kahana’s work on 5-FU injections for cicatricial pemphigoid and Stevens Johnson syndrome was honored as Best of ASOPRS at the AAO. This innovative approach looks very promising for patients who need better treatments. Keep up the great work, Alon!
2019 AAO Courses
- Cat Burkat – Cosmetic Onabotulinum toxin A and Facial Fillers
- Shubhra Goel – Periocular Rejuvenation With Fillers and Neurotoxin on Silicone Head Simulators.
- Alon Kahana – Advanced Concepts in Management of Thyroid Eye Disease
- Bobby Korn – Optimizing Outcomes and Managing Complications – a Case-Based Approach
- Kristen Tarbet – Fundamentals of Facelifting
2019 AAO Oculofacial Plastic Surgery Subspecialty Day Contributors:
- Alon Kahana – “Vismodegib and Sonidegib in Treatment of Basal Cell Carcinoma”
- Mark Lucarelli – “Eyelid Reconstruction: Techniques You Can Count On”
- Cat Burkat- session moderator; Changing Paradigms in Orbital Disease