Join us at one of our public events this year, we look forward to having you on our mission to save sight.
Sign Up for the All Activities Calendar
Sign up here to access the Ophthalmology All Activities Calendar. This includes meetings, conferences, and events that may not be open to the public.
- This event has passed.
Learner’s Day (Not open to public)
June 21, 2019 @ 8:00 am - 2:30 pm
The University of Wisconsin – Madison and Medical College of Wisconsin are proud to partner again on the annual Learner’s Day conference that celebrates our learning community. This internal event features research presentations and posters from medical students, residents, clinical fellows, graduate students and post-doctoral fellows.
Want to join us? COMPLETE THE FORM BELOW by June 14, 2019.
LEARNER’S DAY PROGRAM
- 8:00am Registration and Breakfast
- 8:30 Opening Remarks – Marilyn Kay, MD, Associate Professor and Vice Chair of Education, UW Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences
Session I: Moderator // Jennifer C. Larson, MD
- 8:35 “Utilizing Electronic Medical Records (EMRs) to Standardize Handoffs in Ophthalmology” – Lynn Sun, MD (Deborah Costakos, MD, MS)
- 8:50 “Use of Alcohol Swabs and Non-sterile Gloves in Preparation of Anti-VEGF Medication for Intravitreal Injection” – Kathleen Regan, MD (Jonathan Chang, MD)
- 9:05 “Same-Day Case Cancellations at the Milwaukee VA” – Alison Teo, MD (Bhavna Sheth, MD)
- 9:20 “Retinal Detachment Outcomes” – Zackery Oakey, MD (Jonathan Chang, MD)
- 9:35 “Schlemm’s Canal: Imaging, Pressure, Catheterization, Gene RX” – Sri Meghana Konda, MBBS (Paul Kaufman, MD)
- 9:50 “Immunological Profiling of Sebaceous Carcinoma” – Chris Bowen, MD, MS (Mark Lucarelli, MD, FACS; Cat Burkat, MD, FACS)
10:05 Session II: Poster Session
Session III: Moderator // Iris Kassem, MD, PhD
- 10:35 “Nylon Implants in Orbital Fracture Repair” – Victor Liou, MD (Neda Esmaili, MD)
- 10:50 “Orbital Langerhans Cell Histiocytosis: Case Series and Review” – Suzanne van Landingham, MD (Mark Lucarelli, MD, FACS; Cat Burkat, MD, FACS)
- 11:05 “Retinopathy of Prematurity in Infants Weighing Less than 500 grams at Birth” – Jhaj Gurdeep, MD (Iris Kassem, MD, PhD; Deborah Costakos, MD, MS)
- 11:20 “MRI and Clinical Grading of Papilledema in Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension (IIH)” – Nathan Mathews, MD (Yanjun Chen, MD, PhD)
- 11:35 “Review of Common Ocular Presentations to the Emergency Department (ED)” – Alana Trotter, MD (Cat Burkat, MD, FACS)
12:20PM Session IV: Poster Session
Session V: Moderator // Evan J. Warner, MD
- 12:50 “Association Between Hidradenitis Suppurativa and Inflammatory Eye Disease” – Sapna Desai, MD (Laura Kopplin, MD, PhD)
- 1:05 “Retrospective Analysis of Teaching Cataract Surgery” – Meisha Raven, DO (Daniel Knoch, MD; Stephen Sauer, MD; Andrew Thliveris, MD, PhD)
- 1:20 “Evaluation of Corneal Endothelial Integrity in Post-Surgical Pediatric Cataract with Lens Implantation” – Nathan Carpenter, MD (Yasmin Bradfield, MD; Michael Struck, MD)
- 1:35 “Improving Post-Cataract Refractive Outcomes – A Resident Experience” – Christopher Spearman, MD (Daniel Knoch, MD)
- 1:50 “Macular Status and Fluid Drainage in Scleral Buckle Surgery” – Braden Burckhard, MD (Alex Ringeisen, MD; Edwin Ryan, MD)
- 2:05 Award for Best Resident Presentation – Judges Panel: Marilyn Kay, MD; Iris Kassem, MD, PhD; Andrea Stahulak, MD
- 2:10 Closing Remarks – Deborah Costakos, MD, MS, Associate Professor and Interim Chair, Department of Ophthalmology, Eye Institute – Medical College of Wisconsin
- 2:15 Closing Remarks – Terri Young, MD, MBA, FARVO, Peter A. Duehr Professor and Chair, UW Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences