The UW Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences (DOVS), in conjunction with the Office for Faculty Affairs and Development of the School of Medicine and Public Health (SMPH), affirms that DOVS clinical and research faculty, administrative, education, and research staff, learners, and trainees (including but not limited to post-doc, T-32, graduate students, and other trainees) and UW Health Ophthalmology staff (including but not limited to opticians, technicians, schedulers, and other colleagues), regardless of their roles and responsibilities, contribute to fulfilling the vision and mission of the department.
The PEP Mentor Program was created to foster and promote the career aspirations of the DOVS and UW Health Ophthalmology community.
- To support all UW Health Ophthalmology staff (including but not limited to opticians, technicians, schedulers, and other colleagues) and DOVS faculty, staff, learners and trainees (including but not limited to post-doc, T-32, graduate students, and other trainees) at all stages of their careers to achieve full potential in their respective areas.
- To support and facilitate accomplishment of goals set during the partnership by both the mentor and mentee.
- To increase overall engagement of DOVS and UW Health Ophthalmology community members in teaching, research, and service.
Who can participate?
- DOVS clinical and research faculty, including optometric providers and clinical adjunct, at various stages of their career.
- UW Health Ophthalmology staff, including but not limited to opticians, technicians, schedulers, and other colleagues.
- DOVS learners – medical students, doctoral candidates, post-docs, residents and clinical fellows who are trained through the department.
- Other trainees, such as Wisconsin Reading Center fellows, pathology fellows, visiting learners and faculty, at all career stages.
- DOVS administration staff, technicians, research staff and other.
The mentoring relationship should be seen as a mutually beneficial partnership. The amount and type of mentoring will be tailored to the member’s specific roles, responsibilities and expectations for advancement in their career.
Anticipated PEP Mentoring Program Timeline
How to get involved
Interested in becoming a mentor or mentee?