We are the core imaging lab within the University of Wisconsin – Madison Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences studying diabetic retinopathy, age-related macular degeneration, uveitis and other ophthalmic diseases.The Fundus Photograph Reading Center (FPRC) was founded on the enduring principles of intellectual honesty, quality, relevance, innovation and staff satisfaction.
We serve a wide range of academic institutions, foundations, pharmaceutical companies and biotech firms including the National Eye Institute, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive Kidney Diseases, Diabetic Retinopathy Clinical Research Network and the Department of Defense.
Meet the FPRC Leadership Team
Barbara A. Blodi
Professor, Medical Director of the Fundus Photograph Reading Center
Ophthalmologist; Research Director of the Fundus Photograph Reading Center
Michael M. Altaweel
Professor; Co-Director of the Fundus Photograph Reading Center
Senior Admin Program Specialist
For early phase clinical trials, we offer a streamlined approach tailored to the needs of the study and sponsor.
- Consultation on protocol design
- Project management
- Image analysis
- Certification and regulatory compliance
- Consultation on protocol design
- Defining ocular disease outcomes
- Study protocol/start-up training
- On Site/off Site and web based training on imaging protocols
- Certification of photography equipment and operators
- Project management
- Electronic upload of digital images
- DICOM conversion
- Inventory tracking
- Query monitoring
- Image quality monitoring and reporting
- Reproducibility reports for evaluation data
- Collaboration on manuscript preparation
- Storage and archival of study images
- Diabetic retinopathy
- Age-related macular degeneration
- Macular Edema
- Vein Occlusion
- Infectious and non-infectious Uveitis
- Cytomegalovirus retinitis
- Lens opacities
- Glaucoma and neurodegenerative diseases
- Safety studies to monitor toxicity
- Optical Coherence Tomography (quantitative and layer analysis)
- Fundus autofluorescence (SLO and camera-based)
- Color fundus photography
- Fluorescein and ICG angiograms
- Red reflex, retroillumination and slit lamp lens photographs
- Independent Quality Assurance workgroup, reporting directly to the General Manager
- FPRC Documentation is compliant with ICH (International Conference on Harmonisation) guidelines and global regulatory requirements.
- FPRC developed software is compliant with 21 CFR Part 11, ICH and other applicable global regulatory requirements.
- FPRC staff are trained in HIPAA, human subjects and regulatory compliance and follow a detailed set of policies and standard operating procedures (SOPs).
- Expert FDA hearing support
All imaging technicians and equipment participating in any of our studies are required to be certified by the UW-FPRC for each specific study and each specific procedure within that study, prior to submitting study participant images.
recent publications and NEWS
Intravitreal Delivery of VEGF-A165-loaded PLGA Microparticles Reduces Retinal Vaso-Obliteration in an in Vivo Mouse Model of Retinopathy of Prematurity.
Nov 02 2018 // PubMed ID: 30383455 Author(s): Mezu-Ndubuisi OJ, Wang Y, Schoephoerster J, Falero-Perez J, Zaitoun IS, Sheibani N, Gong S. Intravitreal Delivery of VEGF-A(165)-loaded PLGA Microparticles Reduces Retinal Vaso-Obliteration in an in Vivo Mouse Model of Retinopathy…
PEGylated pUR4/FUD peptide inhibitor of fibronectin fibrillogenesis decreases fibrosis in murine Unilateral Ureteral Obstruction model of kidney disease.
Oct 26 2018 // PubMed ID: 30356276 Author(s): Tomasini-Johansson BR, Zbyszynski PW, Toraason I, Peters DM, Kwon GS. PEGylated pUR4/FUD peptide inhibitor of fibronectin fibrillogenesis decreases fibrosis in murine Unilateral Ureteral Obstruction model of kidney disease. PLoS One. 2018…
SB772077B, A New Rho Kinase Inhibitor Enhances Aqueous Humour Outflow Facility in Human Eyes.
Oct 21 2018 // PubMed ID: 30341380 Author(s): Ashwinbalaji S, Senthilkumari S, Gowripriya C, Krishnadas S, Gabelt BAT, Kaufman PL, Muthukkaruppan V. SB772077B, A New Rho Kinase Inhibitor Enhances Aqueous Humour Outflow Facility in Human Eyes. Sci Rep. 2018…
Dietary carotenoids and cognitive function among US adults, NHANES 2011-2014.
Oct 18 2018 // PubMed ID: 30326796 Author(s): Christensen K, Gleason CE, Mares JA. Dietary carotenoids and cognitive function among US adults, NHANES 2011-2014. Nutr Neurosci. 2018 Oct 16:1-9. doi: 10.1080/1028415X.2018.1533199. [Epub ahead of print] Journal: Nutritional Neuroscience, Oct…
Effects of Lentivirus-Mediated C3 Expression on Trabecular Meshwork Cells and Intraocular Pressure.
Oct 17 2018 // PubMed ID: 30326062 Author(s): Tan J, Fan N, Wang N, Feng B, Yang M, Liu G, Wang Y, Zhu X, Kaufman PL, Pang IH, Liu X. Effects of Lentivirus-Mediated C3 Expression on Trabecular Meshwork Cells…
Validity and reproducibility of retinal arteriole and venule diameter measurements: ELSA-Brasil study. A cross-sectional study.
Oct 12 2018 // PubMed ID: 30304202 Author(s): Dartora WJ, Maestri MK, Schmidt MI, Duncan BB, Chambless L, Klein R, Meuer S, Luft VC. Validity and reproducibility of retinal arteriole and venule diameter measurements: ELSA-Brasil study. A cross-sectional study.…
310 N. Midvale Blvd, Suite 205
Madison, Wisconsin 53705
Phone: (608) 262-1334
Fax: (608) 265-9509