2018 Doctor Appreciation Day

DON’T TAKE IT FROM US. SEE WHAT PATIENTS SHARED ON #DOCTORAPPRECIATIONDAY  – MARCH 30, 2018

Doctor Appreciation Day is an annual celebration on March 30. It is a national holiday that honors physicians for the work they do for their patients, the communities they work in and for society as a whole. Doctor’s Day was first observed in Winder, Georgia on March 30, 1933. It was originally started by Eudora Brown Almond, the wife of a prominent Georgian doctor, who wanted to create a day just for recognizing and honoring doctors. She decided the best way to do that was to mail greeting cards to all of the doctors she knew of and to place flowers on the graves of deceased physicians. The flowers that she placed on the graves of these doctors were red carnations–a flower which is still used to this day for National Doctor’s Day celebrations.

Eudora Brown Almond choose March 30th as the date for Doctor’s Day because that day is when Dr. Crawford W. Long used an ether anesthetic for the first time during surgery in 1842. Although Doctor’s Day would remain an unofficial holiday for the next 58 years, it finally became an actual National holiday in 1991 when Congress passed Proclamation 6253 to declare it as such.

Here’s some of the kudos that our doctors received this year – enjoy!

• “A simple thank you will never be enough for Dr. Altaweel, who saved my vision in 2010.  He truly cares about his patients and wants the very best outcome for them, often going above and beyond to achieve that. His care and UW Health are so wonderful that I still continue to be a patient, despite now living over 1,000 miles away. Thank you again Dr. Altaweel for all that you do, and continue to do!”
  • “Thank you Dr. Lucarelli for making my thyroid eyes to look normal again in 1995! You are a wonderful skilled Doctor. Thanks again.”
  • “Thank you for all your care, Dr. Mititelu.
  • “Thanks to your [Dr. Sterken] more recent eye surgery, my husband and I greatly enjoyed our 10 day sightseeing trip in Arizona. Since I was driving, he was successfully concentrating on recording everything with his video camera. Thus, we both had a good time.”
  • “Thank you Dr. Conlin for the wonderful eye exam you and your Technician Morgan gave me when I last visited your office.”
  • Dr. Gottlieb – I just want to thank you for all the wonderful care you have given me ever since I have been coming to you. You are a wonderful, caring doctor and I am so grateful to be under your care.  You are very compassionate and you are very thorough each appointment I have with you. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.”