You are invited to the first-ever Spirit of Aging Camp at Union South on the University of Wisconsin-Madison campus. At this FREE event, health and wellness experts, community members and industry professionals will share strategies and resources for aging in a healthy and happy way. Hear from one community member who designed her home to be a safe place as she ages. Learn new and easy exercises and stretches that fit your lifestyle. Discover healthful foods that UW researchers recommend for aging brains and eyes. This energizing and interactive day at camp will provide you with the tools to help you feel empowered to thrive as you age.
Register Here by September 15
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
8:30 am Registration and Crafts
9:05 am Camp Welcome
9:15 am Your Home, Your Way
Think about your home. Now, think about how small changes to your living space could help you age within your current home. This panel discussion will feature experts in interior design, neurology, low vision, falls and more. You’ll leave with new ideas about how your house can become your forever home.
10:00 am Living Your Best Life
Have you noticed that you need reader glasses at restaurants? Do you feel unsteady behind the wheel? Our panel of healthcare providers will offer insight on how to cope with aging, when to seek medical help and preventative tips and tricks to keep you feeling confident year after year.
11:30 am Delicious Dining
Everyone knows kale is all the rage, but did you know it can actually taste good while delivering super-food value? This nutrition-focused panel and cooking demonstration will provide you with the guidance you need to make tasty dishes at home, get amazing health benefits from foods and even wow your friends and family.
1:00 pm Moving Mountains
Get moving, literally, with this wellness-focused panel and demonstration. Expert yoga teachers, swim instructors and healthcare providers will share guided movement practices for all activity levels during this interactive session.
2:00 pm Camp Concludes
Register Here by September 15
University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health Division of Geriatrics and Gerontology
- Barbara Bendlin, PhD, Associate Professor
- Kathleen Hoffland, NP
- Shannon Myers, Community Research Associate of the Community-Academic Aging Research Network, Director of Program Implementation at the Wisconsin Institute for Healthy Aging, Stepping On Master Trainer
- Ozioma Okonkwo, PhD, Assistant Professor
University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences
- Yanjun (Judy) Chen, MD, PhD, Assistant Professor
- Jennifer Larson, MD, Assistant Professor
- Yao Liu, MD, Assistant Professor, Director of Teleophthalmology
- Julie Mares, PhD, MSPH, Professor
- Sanbrita Mondal, OD, Clinical Adjunct Associate Professor; Director of the Low Vision Clinic
- Cathy Goehler, Community and Wellness Director, Lacuna Coworking
- Joe Heppe, Executive Chef, I.d. Delafield
- Maxine Palmer, Community Member
- Dondi Szombatfalvy, Lead Interior Designer, Bella Domicile
Parking is available for a fee in the following lots near Union South. You may also use the Drop-Off area on the Dayton side of Union South
- Lot 80 – Union South Parking Garage
- Lot 17 – Engineering Drive Ramp
- Lot 20 – University Avenue Ramp
Thank you to our generous community sponsors and partners:
- Dirigible Studio – Glamping Level Sponsors (Camp Counselor attire)
- Oakwood Village – RV-ing Level Sponsors
- I.d. Delafield – RV-ing Level Sponsors
- Bella Domicile – RV-ing Level Sponsors
- Metcalfe’s and Whole Foods Markets, The Princeton Club, Culver’s, SAIL, RSVP of Dane County, Adaptive Technology Resources – Roughing-It Level Sponsors
This event is presented by: The UW Division of Geriatrics and Gerontology, Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences and UW Health