Genesis of interneurons in the dorsal lateral geniculate nucleus of the cat.

Publications // Ronald Kalil // Oct 15 1986

PubMed ID: 3793983

Author(s): Weber AJ, Kalil RE, Hickey TL. Genesis of interneurons in the dorsal lateral geniculate nucleus of the cat. J Comp Neurol. 1986 Oct 15;252(3):385-91.

Journal: The Journal Of Comparative Neurology, Volume 252, Issue 3, Oct 1986

Most neurons in the A-laminae of the cat’s dorsal lateral geniculate nucleus (LGN) are born between embryonic days 22 and 32. Whereas approximately 78% of these cells are destined to become geniculocortical relay cells, the remaining 22% of LGN neurons do not appear to establish connections with visual cortex, and therefore can be considered interneurons. In the present study we have combined the 3H-thymidine method for labeling dividing neurons with the retrograde horseradish peroxidase (HRP) method for identifying LGN relay cells in order to study specifically the genesis of interneurons in the cat’s LGN. Developing LGN interneurons in 12 kittens were labeled with 3H-thymidine by injecting the radioactive label into the allantoic cavity of their pregnant mothers on different embryonic days. Approximately 8-22 weeks after birth LGN relay cells in the A-laminae were labeled retrogradely by injecting large volumes of HRP into visual cortex areas 17 and 18. LGN cells that could not be labeled retrogradely with HRP were considered to be interneurons. Our results show that interneurons are born on each of the embryonic days studied, E24-E30. This period represents approximately the middle two-thirds of the entire period of LGN neurogenesis. Although the birth rate for interneurons is not uniform, there is no indication from our data that interneurons and relay cells in the cat’s LGN are born at different times during LGN neurogenesis.