Ocular Tuberculosis.

Daniel Albert // Meisha Raven // Publications // Nov 01 2016

PubMed ID: 27837746

Author(s): Albert DM, Raven ML. Ocular tuberculosis. Microbiol Spectr. 2016 Nov;4(6). doi: 10.1128/microbiolspec.TNMI7-0001-2016. Review. PMID 27837746

Journal: Microbiology Spectrum, Volume 4, Issue 6, Nov 2016

Ocular tuberculosis is an extrapulmonary mycobacterial infection with variable manifestations. The reported incidence of ocular involvement varies considerably, depending on the criteria used for diagnosis and the population sampled. However, tuberculosis is thought to affect the lungs in 80% of patients, with the remaining 20% being affected in other organs, such as the eye. It is imperative for physicians to consider this diagnosis in their differential, as ocular tuberculosis can present in a fashion similar to that of more common conditions causing ocular inflammation. In addition, prompt recognition of the clinical signs and symptoms leads to quicker initiation of antituberculosis therapy.