A Conversation with Visiting Student Alana Bryant

Alana BryantAlana Bryant, a medical student from Meharry Medical College, shared her insights and experiences from her recent rotation with the Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences (DOVS) as a visiting student. Bryant’s journey to UW-Madison offers a thoughtful account of educational and professional development opportunities for future ophthalmologists. We greatly look forward to her joining us as a PGY1 resident intern this summer.

Why did you choose to visit UW-Madison for a rotation?

I was familiar with the program after having the pleasure of meeting Dr. Terri Young at the 2022 NMA Annual Convention & Scientific Assembly (who, as a stranger, made me feel very seen and supported in my challenges as a medical student), but UW-Madison was not on my radar to complete an elective rotation. I was waitlisted from a program I’d really hoped to rotate with, so went to my peers for advice on where to apply. One of my close friends is a psychiatry intern at UW-Madison; she spoke very highly to your institution and strongly encouraged me to submit an application. A few days later, I’d received an acceptance and was also granted an Underrepresented in Medicine (URiM) Visiting Student Scholarship. The rest is history, and I am so grateful this is the way things ended up working out.

What did you gain from your rotation at UW-Madison?

UW-Madison was my second of three elective rotations, and completing it helped me become familiar with another program/institution/state, compare and contrast to other programs, and get to explore a new (to me) city. I was met with kindness from everyone, which sounds cliché, but the kindness did not feel disingenuous or performative; I felt really cared for by everyone I encountered (residents, faculty, staff, strangers in the grocery store, mergers on the highway, etc.).

I was given as much autonomy as I felt comfortable with; I polished my exam skills and was academically challenged in the best way. I had a perfect split of allotted clinic and OR time. I felt all of the faculty genuinely wanted to teach me; I was never made to feel ‘stupid’ or ‘lesser than’ when my answers to questions were wrong or when I didn’t understand a concept. It was so exciting and fun to be a visiting learner with this approach. I also liked attending the resident academic activities! It was nice to see what the more ‘formal’ learning environments looked like.

I learned how incredibly organized UW-Madison’s DOVS is (which makes my Type A heart sing). Every logistical concern was prepared for, and I could tell my experience was thoughtfully curated to be as seamless as possible. Even travel and lunchtime was considered in my daily schedule.

What did you experience in Madison (outside of your rotation)?

I was able to bring my dog (a rescued, 7-year-old pitbull) with me for my rotation, so I made it a point to do as many outdoor activities with her as possible. I wasn’t able to do as much exploring during the week as I’d have liked due to extracurricular obligations (every night from 6-9pm), but with the time I did have, my dog and I visited a nearby lake overlook as much as we could. It was beautiful and the weather was divine.) I went to the Farmer’s Market that was close to my housing accommodations in Monona and also the one that circles the Capitol building. I had brunch with a friend at La Brioche, which was delicious. I wanted to enjoy Black Restaurant Week but ended up not being able to partake in the activities. Regardless I was glad to learn it was an annual occurrence!

This might sound a little boring, but I spent a lot of time just appreciating nature in Monona – there were ‘patches’ of beautiful foliage with signs and labels describing the plants which was such a different experience from different from my hometown and even where I go to med school.

I also visited during the [annual cataract extraction phacoemulsification] course, which was very informative and helped me further understand the intricacies of cataract surgery. I brought my dog to the evening BBQ and got to play kickball with all of the faculty. It was definitely one of the highlights of my time as I’m pretty competitive.

What is your goal for the future?

My ultimate goal is to be able to look back on my life and to be proud of the way I chose to live it. I envision myself as a strong comprehensive (potentially pediatric?) ophthalmologist who brings my talents and expertise to underserved/historically marginalized communities. I’d also like to be heavily involved in patient/community education regarding eye health and eye care.