A Conversation with Visiting Student Jesus Melendez-Montañez

Jesus Melendez-MontanezJesus Melendez-Montañez, a medical student from Ponce School of Medicine at Ponce Health Sciences University, recounts his experience with the Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences (DOVS) during his rotation as a visiting student. Melendez-Montañez speaks fondly of his time in Madison and his growing ophthalmology skills.

Why did you choose to visit UW-Madison for a rotation?

I chose UW-Madison to rotate due to strong recommendations from prior participants and a personal invitation from Department Chair Dr. Terri Young. Seeing the passion and love for the program made my decision easy.

What did you gain from your rotation at UW-Madison?

I gained hands-on experience and practice improving my basic ophthalmology skills. Also, I gained mentors and guidance from UW-Madison’s faculty and ophthalmology residents. Coming from a medical school without an ophthalmology program, this opportunity gave me all the tools and exposure to immerse myself in the field of ophthalmology.

What did you experience in Madison (outside of your rotation)?

I got to experience the essence of Madison, such as its welcoming people, the beautiful outdoors, and the delicious food. I enjoyed my time there so much so that one month passed very fast!

What is your goal for the future?

My goal for the future is to become the first physician in my family, enter residency, and pursue a fellowship in pediatrics while advocating for the rights of underserved communities through research.